Power Your Brain: Brain Health Dos and Don’ts
Brain decline is not inevitable. Your lifestyle and choices can support brain health and reduce memory decline or brain disease like Alzheimer’s. Take a look at these dos and don’ts of brain health:
- Maintain an active lifestyle with regular physical activity.
- Keep your brain sharp with puzzles and games that focus on memory and visual recognition.
- Eat a Mediterranean-style diet or foods rich in antioxidants.
- Make time for friends, family, and other social activities.
- Prioritize sleep and relaxation by avoiding caffeine at night and following rituals like meditation.
- Minimize distractions and focus on one task at a time.
- Take medications and vitamins as prescribed.
- Learn a new skill like an instrument or create a craft to engage your fine motor skills and brain.
- Skip your annual checkups—be proactive about doctor’s appointments.
- Keep stress inside—find healthy ways to relieve stress, like meditation or exercise.
- Overindulge on sweets and junk food—treats should be eaten in moderation.
- Drink alcohol excessively—too much of anything is never good for your body or brain.
- Smoke—studies show it increases the risk of cognitive decline and other health risks.