Optimizing brain health is important! Empowering our team members and residents with tips on how to boost their cognitive function is one way we help them live their best lives. It’s the Caraday Way!
Brain decline is not inevitable. Your lifestyle and choices can support brain health and reduce memory decline or brain disease like Alzheimer’s. Take a look at these dos and don’ts of brain health:
- Maintain an active lifestyle with regular physical activity.
- Keep your brain sharp with puzzles and games that focus on memory and visual recognition.
- Eat a Mediterranean-style diet or foods rich in antioxidants.
- Make time for friends, family, and other social activities.
- Prioritize sleep and relaxation by avoiding caffeine at night and following rituals like meditation.
- Minimize distractions and focus on one task at a time.
- Take medications and vitamins as prescribed.
- Learn a new skill like an instrument or create a craft to engage your fine motor skills and brain.
- Skip your annual checkups—be proactive about doctor’s appointments.
- Keep stress inside—find healthy ways to relieve stress, like meditation or exercise.
- Overindulge on sweets and junk food—treats should be eaten in moderation.
- Drink alcohol excessively—too much of anything is never good for your body or brain.
- Smoke—studies show it increases the risk of cognitive decline and other health risks.