Fresh air and outdoor activities make for summer fun and some of the best memories. As you’re enjoying the sun, don’t forget to be mindful of safety and health. At the top of the list is sun and health protection to ensure that you can safely enjoy summer activities.
- Know your sunscreen – they are not all created equal. Choose broad-spectrum protection – SPF 30 or higher.
- Be mindful of medications – Some antibiotics and medicines make the skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Wear sunglasses to help reduce potential eye damage.
- Be careful in water and sand as they can reflect and amplify the sun’s damaging rays.
- Track not only outdoor temperatures but the heat index and take precautions when it reaches 91 degrees.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water and sports drinks with electrolytes.
- Enjoy the sun, but stay in the shade if you’re feeling faint, weak, or nauseous as it could be heat exhaustion.