The summer of 2020 will certainly be one for the record books. But that just means filling summer with different memories and fun – all being mindful of safety and health.
In addition to the precautions being taken for COVID-19, don’t overlook sun and heat protection to safely enjoy summer activities.
- Know your sunscreen – they are not all created equal. Choose broad-spectrum protection – SPF 30 or higher.
- Be mindful of medications – Some antibiotics and medicines make the skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Wear sunglasses to help reduce potential eye damage.
- Be careful in water and sand as they can reflect and amplify the sun’s damaging rays.
- Track not only outdoor temperatures but the heat index and take precautions when it reaches 91 degrees.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water and sports drinks with electrolytes.
- Enjoy the sun, but stay in the shade if you’re feeling faint, weak, or nauseous as it could be heat exhaustion.